Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Moment of Silence

Soooooo.....
Remember that time I said that Oscar's problem was mental, and not physical? And then I went on to say that he really just wanted to be a dolphin?
Well, I was wrong about that.
Cause Oscar?
He deeeeeaaaaaad.
It happened last Thursday evening, when I went to feed him. A dead fish is not a nice thing to have in your room. Dad so kindly took care of him for me. He didn't flush him though. I was a little disappointed about that. He just put him in the garbage in the garage. I'm really not complaining though, because I was just so grateful that I didn't have to be the one to deal with it, because I apparently can't handle dead things. I think it was worse because fish just generally disgust me, and so a dead fish would just be too much for me to deal with.
I really did love Oscar though.
He was a good fish.
A pretty fish. The prettiest one, if I do say so myself.
I had the greatest customer experience of my life on Friday because of him. I was telling my people at Hillcrest about how he died, and just as I was at the part of the story where I left my room and said "Dad... Oscar is dead!" a customer stuck his head into the kitchen and says "Can I have one long john?". Good timing, customer. The other ladies were already laughing, because they apparently found Oscar's death amusing? And so this customer, he says "My, my. I think I'd like to join you ladies in here for awhile. It sounds like you're having a good time!" And so Amber says "Oscar is a fish." And then I said, "My fish. Oscar. He died!" And this customer just jumps right into the conversation and says "Did you flush him?" and I'm like "No! Dad wouldn't let me!" and then the customer made a joke about something fishy going on with my septic system, and I was laughing reallyreally hard at that point, and was like "I'm sorry... was that one long john that you wanted?" and he was like "yeah" and I was pretty much crying at that point, and it did not help that the others were all sitting at the counter laughing just as hard as me. So the customer goes on his way, but a few moments later (when we are somehow laughing even harder), he came back and said "A moment of silence... for Oscar." and we couldn't stop laughing, and he left, and it was just a really great moment where Sarah was holding onto the counter because she couldn't stand up by herself because she was laughing so hard. I laugh a lot at Hillcrest... but that was definitely the hardest. I think it was one of those things that you actually had to witness yourself though. lol.
So anyways...
Oscar is dead.
There is an empty space on my desk where he used to be.
And in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment